Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Wayne Barnes wrote:
> >     Immediately after rebooting, I get this:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/wayne>telnetd -debug
> > telnetd: bind: Address already in use
> >
> >     This doesn't happen on my other (working) system.
> >     Could this be a clue to my problem?
>
> Telnetd is telling you that something else is listening on port 23. This
> is most probably inetd. Do a 'killall inetd' then try that command.

That's not only going to stop inetd from sitting on the port,
it will probably also make telnet into the box start working,
if it's related to the TCP wrappers (if he had modified his
hosts.allow with the advice from a previous poster, he would
not be having this problem, if that happens, so rather than
posting his problem over and over again, maybe he should read
the responses, and at least tell us if they worked?).

Otherwise, another common culprit is ipfw; if he has the
firewall enabled, the default is to block everything.

Given that he got a connection, and that it was subsequently
closed, though, rather than not getting a connection at all,
it's a safe bet that it's the TCP wrappers, not the ipfw, that
is causing the trouble.

In which case, he should take the advice on the hosts.allow
file contents that he was given earlier, and it will fix his
problem...

-- Terry