Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, walt writes:

If inclusion of INVARIANTS serves to disguise bugs in
the kernel, I wonder if kernel committers should be
using this option routinely?

Please check into our current reality :-)

Hm. How do I parse that sentence? If you are implying (as it says in NOTES) that INVARIANTS are "not enabled by default" then my question is certainly a stupid one.

However, when I look at the GENERIC kernel config file I see
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
so what am I to think?  Do most kernel committers run a
GENERIC kernel as the FBSD website says?  Does anyone
take a poll occasionally?  Did I miss your point entirely?

Suggest you check what INVARIANTS actually do.

Looking at the code thru my amateur eyes it appears that defining INVARIANTS allows the programmer to add whatever code he wishes with an ifdef statement. That covers a lot of territory. Looking thru sys/geom I don't see any such ifdefs in your code, so I still don't know why the recent geom bug was hidden by INVARIANTS.

Hope you're feeling better :-)

To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message