>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:47:18 -0800
>From: "Kevin Oberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:14:26PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> > I've been seeing this for a couple of weeks since I updated my laptop to
>> > CURRENT. I do a normal shutdown (-p or -r) and reboot. The shutdown
>> > looked normal, with no problems reported with the sync, but, when the
>> > system is rebooted, the partitions are all shown as possibly
>> > unclean. From my dmesg:
>> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
>> > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
>> > All disks are mounted with soft-updates enabled.
>> >
>> > I don't see any other reports of this. Is this unique to my system?

>> Go to single user mode and run "fsck -f -p" on each filesystem.

>Actually, 'fsck -f -p' didn't help at all. I had to do fsck_ffs on every
>partition (as per the message cited).

>Looks to me like this belongs in UPDATING, although it does not break
>anything. Maybe in the v4 to current update instructions.

Sorry to quote so much; I was offline most of the day....

Anyway:  I am continuing to track both -STABLE and -CURRENT on a daily
basis on a couple of machines, one of which is my laptop (a Dell i5000e).

I have soft updates enabled for each (UFS) file system.  (I set up /tmp
as mfs/md; I do not enable soft updates on it.)

I have a couple of file systems that are mounted read-write regardless
of what I boot (one of which is /var, so I have some assurance that both
-STABLE and -CURRENT are mounting the file system and writing to it).
(The other is the one that has my home directory, the local CVS
repository, /usr/local, and the various /usr/obj hierarchies that
correspond to each bootable slice.  So yeah, this one gets mounted
read-write, and is written to.)

When I boot -STABLE, I typically mount all mountable file systems.

When I boot -CURRENT, I typically do not mount the root and /usr file
systems that I use for -STABLE.

I have seen no problems doing this in several months.  (Last time I did
was because -STABLE's fsck needed a tweak to accomodate a change made in
-CURRENT.  This merely caused whines and annoyance; there was no data
loss.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
--
David H. Wolfskill                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Based on what I have seen to date, the use of Microsoft products is not