David Schultz wrote:
Thus spake Thanjee Neefam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I was very happy when compiling my 5.0 kernel. For the first time "device
midi" compiled without giving any errors. This abnormal excitement only
led to misery when I discovered after rebooting that there still was no
MIDI. Is MIDI going to be implemented soon? Who is working on it? Can I help
them? (I am not a very good programmer, but I can hack pre existing code,
and I am good at testing). MIDI is the ONLY thing stopping me from
running FreeBSD exclusively.

FYI, the non-free OSS driver supports MIDI:

http://www.opensound.com/bsd.html

Apparently even this is not complete, however: http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1250661+0+archive/2003/freebsd-current/20030323.freebsd-current

One interesting thing to note from that thread, is that Yuriy Tsibizov is into the development of this stuff, but does not have all the equipment needed to conduct testing. I don't know what hardware you have, but this is what he's been working on:
http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/

Pete...