John Baldwin wrote:
On 02-Apr-2003 Peter Schultz wrote:

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. A guy and I from tcbug were just trying to fix his postfix installation, he does not know what happened, it just stopped working. There would not have been a problem if sendmail wasn't tied into the system so closely. I'm just hoping core will say, "submit a working solution and it will be done," so that there's a little inspiration here.

Pete...

First, core@ is not the appropriate body for that type of request.
> Both current@ and arch@ are much better targets.

I understand, thanks for clarifying.

Second, is NO_SENDMAIL + the postfix port inadequate?

I guess. I was helping him on #tcbug this morning, and he certainly missed something somewhere between the two. He claimed it "just stopped working." I don't know what all he did, but he was sure going crazy trying to fix it. I helped him get around the problem, but I couldn't help but think it would be nice for FreeBSD administrators to have a smoother solution.

How about requiring a decision at install time, during the final configuration:

[x] sendmail ... (default)
[ ] postfix ...
[ ] exim ...
[ ] qmail ...
[ ] none (caution: desktop users only, insecure use of syslog)

Pete...