Matthew Emmerton wrote:
I cvsup'd from 5.0-R to HEAD and enabled ACPI to see if anything had changed
in the past 6 months.
Indeed, things have, and a few workarounds I had implemented before were no
longer needed.

However, I still got a host of errors from ACPI upon boot, and some hacks to
device.hints were still neccessary to keep my laptop functional through a
boot.

Attached are my device.hints file and a copy of the dmesg.

In particular, the things that bother me are:
1) All of the "Method execution failed" errors

As was mentioned in another post, there are many problems and solutions being discussed on the acpi lists. Posting your ASL to those lists might help.

2) The fact that I have to have a device.hints entry in order to see console
message upon boot.  (Without this, my system boots up silently and after
about 30 seconds, displays the familiar login prompt.)

This is The Way Things Work. Logial device attachments are no longer compiled into the kernel in 5.x by default (see the entry in GENERIC about this), so you need to define those attachments in the device.hints file.

Scott