In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Vincent Poy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: >             Vincent Poy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > :   Speaking about ACPI, has anyone figured out how to close the lid
: > : without suspending?  I remember before, when the lid was closed, it would
: >
: > add the following to your /boot/loader.conf:
: >
: > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
:
:       Putting it in /boot/loader.conf doesn't work since at some port
: during the system bootup, it will set the hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
: back to S1.  My /boot/loader.conf is as follows:

you are right.  that's what I get for not double checking on my laptop
at home first.

:       Doing /sbin/sysctl -w hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE in
: /etc/rc.local does work which was the way I had it before but without the
: ACPI_DSDT patch, all it does when I close the lid is suspend the machine
: without the LCD going off and the LCD isn't alive until I reboot the
: machine.  Same thing happens with hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S1 even with
: the DSDT patch is that when the system resumes, the LCD is not live
: either.  With the DSDT path and hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE, the LCD
: turns off without suspending but when you open the lid, the LCD doesn't
: turn on until you hit Fn-F10.  This is with the A10 BIOS on the Dell
: Inspiron 8200.

this matches my experiences, to a point.  I've not tried the patched
dsdt table on my dell yet. :-)

Warner