On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

MWL>In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MWL>            Harti Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
MWL>: I think the same problem was reported by Rob Holmes two weeks ago and by
MWL>: me (although with lesser detail) yesterday. I converted my kernel from
MWL>: OLDBUS to NEWBUS and now one out of four or five tries the card works, but
MWL>: this is really annoying. I have an Inspiron 8200 and an Avaya (that is a
MWL>: Lucent) card. I have found no solution until now.
MWL>
MWL>The lucent problem is well known and has been known for a long time.
MWL>It was broken between 5.0 and 5.1 for some people with lucent cards
MWL>(not me and mine).  Enabling WITNESS seens to help, but that likely
MWL>means that it is a race that the overhead of WITNESS tickles in
MWL>certain ways.  Sam indicated he'd try to find some time to fix it.
MWL>There's something subtle going on with the lucent cards, and I've
MWL>given up trying to find it.  I just do't have the time.

Updating the firmware from www.agere.com to 8.72.1 has cured the problem
(except for two messages from the kernel):

Jul  3 16:09:05 harti kernel: wi0: bad alloc 204 != 201, cur 0 nxt 0
Jul  3 16:09:09 harti kernel: wi0: bad alloc 208 != 205, cur 0 nxt 0

harti
--
harti brandt,
http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private