John-Mark Gurney wrote:

Lukas Ertl wrote this message on Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:43 +0200:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark Blackman wrote:

Perhaps it's a USB bug. There seems to be some correspondence between
the use of the USB Speedtouch ADSL modem and the out-of-control
devbuf allocations.

I'm too seeing these annoying kmem_malloc panics on recent -current kernels. The laptop I'm using is way off of being overloaded at all, the only thing I do is going online using a Bluetooth USB dongle. As soon as I generate some network traffic, devbuf allocations go up, until at some point the machine panics randomly in kmem_malloc.

I must note that the USB changes only allocates memory in the M_USB
area which is described by:
usb.c:MALLOC_DEFINE(M_USB, "USB", "USB");

So, that means it wouldn't be in the devbuf area.  (This is the one of
the points of malloc areas is to help track down stray allocations and
memory leaks).

I have different core dumps and backtraces available, but they don't seem
to be of much use in this case. I really suspect the USB stuff to be
leaking.

It may be leaking, but it won't be leaking devbuf memory.  The only
thing that is in usb (in dev/usb) that uses M_DEVBUF is ukbd.

bus_dma_tag_create() allocates out of M_DEVBUF. Could it be that tags are being created and never destroyed?

Scott