I have a few Orinoco cards, and they 'work' in both ad-hoc and
infrastructure mode. However with dhclient it gets tricky, because it
will only work the first time dhclient assigns an address to the card.
Whenever it tries to refresh it or whatever, I start getting those
timeout and busy bit errors, and network connectivity drops. This
usually happens within a few minutes or latest after 30 minutes or so -
probably depending on your dhcpd/dhclient configuration. Configuring a
static IP lets me use the card, and it seems stable.

I recently tested adhoc mode 'cuz Greg said it didn't work and verified it worked for me with all my cards: Prism, Lucent (6.something firmware), and Atheros (5211, and 5212 in 11b talking to the Lucent and Prism cards).

I did not use dhclient. Everything was statically configured.

I am really glad someone else is seeing this, perhaps it can get fixed
some day :)

Oh and btw.. Get the *latest* firmware onto all your cards. That is
essential for anything to work right at all..

I'm stuck upgrading because my Windows 2K Lucent driver is too out of date for any of the newer firmware revs. I believe I need at least rev 6.1 of the Win2K driver to run any of the firmware update tools. How did you upgrade your firmware? If anyone has the bits+pieces to rev firmware I'd like it so I can test the wi driver w/ different firmware revs.

Sam