I am rather naive on the topic but don't many drives have a "single drive" jumper
which works better than a master with no slave at times?
On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 5:43 AM, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
It seems Gavin Atkinson wrote:
ata1: spurious interrupt - status=0x7f error=0x7f reason=0x7f
ad0: 19881MB <Maxtor 6E020L0> [40395/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: CDROM <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152A> at ata1-slave PIO4

OK, your CDROM doesn't like to be a sole master it appears...

I hate it when people respond with this, but I'm going to join them and say "It works under Windows"... Also, under the new code, this problem prevents the booting of the machine, but under the old code the machine carries on booting after giving up on the drive.

Is it possible for this failure mode to not prevent the booting of the
machine at least?

Gavin