On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:59:11PM +0200, Philipp Grau wrote:
>Next problem is that /etc/rc.d/ntpd is evaluated before /etc/rc.d/devfs (see
>the output of "rcorder /etc/rc.d*) So the start of ntpd fails because it is
>requires the devfs link. Ntpd likes to open /dev/refclock-0.
>
>What should I do to circumvent this problem? By simply adding a
>"# REQUIRE: devfs" to the /etc/rc.d/ntpd file? Or this there some other
>mechanism?

This is a known shortcoming in the new rc system.  Luke Mewburn
commented on it in a talk recently but does not yet have a
satisfactory solution.

Assuming there is no implicit dependency on ntpd by devfs, adding
"# REQUIRE: devfs" to /etc/rc.d/ntpd should work as would adding
"# BEFORE: ntpd" to /etc/rc.d/devfs.  You will need to remember
to merge this change into future updates.  Another option may be to
create a dummy new rc.d file that contains both the above lines.

Peter