Bruce Evans wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

PAE MFC brought an incredible instability to stable branch.  It
affects 100% of our user community especially when we issued several
SAs since PAE commit.  They often can't switch to RELENG_4_x security
branches because even RELENG_4_8 misses several critical non-security
fixes.

I merged PAE into my version of -current a bit at a time and didn't
notice any problems (with PAE not actually configured) despite having
some large logical inconsistencies from not having all of it.  Most
of the global changes had no effect since they just changed the names
of some typedefs without changing the underlying types in the !PAE
case.  So I suspect that any instabilities in RELENG_4 in the !PAE
case are indirectly related to PAE and/or localized and thus easy to
find and fix.

Bruce

Agreed. PAE was merged into -stable in three steps. Backing out the third step and leaving the first two steps removes the instability. Unfortunately, it was the third step that also was the most complex. In any case, we have 2 weeks to find the resolution before the decision must be made on keeping or tossing PAE. Since PAE is a *highly* sought after feature, it would be doing a disservice to our user base to remove it without putting in some effort to fix it.

Scott