On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:57:19PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Please test this patch:
>
>       http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/if_tun.patch
>
> There is a slight change in semantics in that the interface will disappear
> entirely when the /dev/tun%d device is closed.
>
> If no objections this will be committed in some days.

> | Properly dismantle and remove the interface and destroy the dev_t
> | at last close of the device.

I'm not convinced this is the right direction to move in.  The problem
is that users are beginning to expect that pseudo-interfaces be created
with network interface cloning, but tun, tap, and vmnet aren't.  I'm
concerned that this destroy on last close semantic will make it harder
to implement that.  I guess if we moved to a model where we allowed both
methods to work, we could somehow add an extra reference when we cloned
interfaces via "ifconfig <if> create", but I don't know the devfs side
well enough to know if that's possible.

This doesn't constitute an objection since I've had over a year to fix
these drivers, but I'd appreciate it if you would give it some thought.

-- Brooks

P.S. Since you're moving it anyway, we make the assumption in the
network code that the ifnet struct is the first member of the softc so
you might want to fix tun while you're there.  See the comment around
if_var.h:111.