On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, ecsd wrote:

e>Given that FreeBSD 5.1 is on the shelf in a box at CompUSA for sale to the
e>general public, I think the proper thing to do is address the matter of
e>documenting the revised operation of the devices in 5.X, rather than tell
e>people to downgrade if they don't understand the behavior of their system,
e>besides which FreeBSD 4.8 or 4.9 are not for sale at CompUSA as a consolation.
e>I did ask to know what documentation there is for the new behavior, but I have
e>not heard any replies. If there isn't any documentation, that's an answer too.

You may want to look at section 12.3.2.1 of the handbook which will tell
you to use

1) fdisk on the disk (da3)
2) disklabel on the slice (da3s1)
3) newfs on the partition (da3s1e)

Yes, I know, real users don't read handbooks ...

harti

e>Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
e>>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ecsd writes:
e>>>MAKEDEV was the cheese since year zero. [...]
e>>I suggest you stick with 4-stable until you have caught up with
e>>the changes and the documentation.
e>
e>
e>[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
e>http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
e>To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
e>

--
harti brandt,
http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private