So you're theory here is that that all code that may be necessary to
start I/O but could take a while should be done out of band. That's a
reasonable response. The only problem is that you sometimes cannot
easily tell if things like timeout driven recovery/restart can be used.

The basic difference here I would guess might be that if I needed to do,
say, FC loop bringup or chip reprogramming after a reset in the isp
driver, I should try and do it off of the worker thread so I neither
slept nor polled from isp_start and always returned right away. I'll
start thinking about that.

-matt