Takayama Fumihiko wrote:

booting a Toshiba Portege R100 off Wednesday's 5.1-JPSNAP install CD hangs early during the boot, with or without ACPI. It may be related to probing the graphics chip, see the attached snapshot.

I've also attached the 4.9 dmesg - 4.9 boots fine off its install CD - in case that helps.

Any ideas?

R100 has problem with PnP for FreeBSD. My Toshiba Portege R100 on FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE can boot by below process.

1) enter BIOS setup (booting with press ESC) 2) [Device Config] change to "All Devices" from "Setup by OS"

Thank you very much, Fumihiko-san, that solved the booting problem!

However, I was still unable to install 5.1-JPSNAP on the machine. With the BIOS settings you suggested, I managed to get to sysinstall. After specifying the desired install setting, sysinstall refuses to install, claiming it did not detect a CD/DVD drive?

The drive in question is detected during boot as:

umass0: NewAge International STORIX Optical Series, rev 2.00/0.01
(see http://www.isi.edu/larse/misc/DSC00909.JPG)

Can sysinstall not install off of USB drives?

To circumvent this issue, I copied the install CD contents onto a local FTP server, and tried a network install. After contacting the server and formatting the partition, sysinstall panic'ed died with an ffs panic. A snapshot of the traceback is here: http://www.isi.edu/larse/misc/DSC00908.JPG

Any ideas on how to pull -current onto this laptop, other then installing -stable and compiling from scratch?

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           USC Information Sciences Institute