In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Chris Shenton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: I'm looking for recommendations on how to recover, hopefully without
: trashing my critical system files like /etc/passwd.  Ideally, I guess
: I'd like a way to replace all the broken binaries and any related
: libraries without overwriting other files.

Grab a recent snapshot.  Boot off of that with the fixit
functionality.  Fix things.  Chances are good that you'll be able to
build a new kernel with the kernel that you booted...

Warner