Hmm. Well, it certainly sounds like a resource limit to me, especially if
it's a nice round number like "150" or "300". However, I'm also having a
bit of trouble seeing, off the top of my head, which limit it might be.
It sounds like you've got the ones I would think of. A quick skim of
sshd.c suggests that it is pretty careful to document various failure
modes in debugging output. There are one or two failures where it does
not log, and they include the call to pipe() in the server loop -- if that
fails, it bails without an error, which is a little surprising. Could you
post server debug output for the first connection to the server that
fails? This would let us "see how far it got"... In particular, whether
it did spawn a child process, etc.

I have never gotten this to fail when sshd is running in debug mode (i.e., sshd -ddd). However, given that it doesn't fork when run with -d, that still doesn't tell us too much.

When I set LogLevel DEBUG3, this is as much info as I am given in the auth.log:

Nov 20 16:39:19 clyde sshd[63993]: Failed none for rabbi from 127.0.0.1 port 62701 ssh2

And this is the debug output for the connection, as seen from the client:

bash-2.05b# ssh -vvv -l rabbi localhost
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to localhost [::1] port 22.
socket: Protocol not supported
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1

This can't be a system-wide process related resource issue, I don't think, because once a user connects and authenticates, there are no problems of note. I'm leaning toward a socket related limit or user-level limit. However, since sysctl tells me:

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf: 262144
kern.ipc.somaxconn: 16384
kern.ipc.numopensockets: 2201
kern.ipc.maxsockets: 49312

I tend to not believe the former, and why the latter would be occurring escapes me as well.