On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:03:22PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >BTW: Are there more people around (except for you and me :-) who would like
> >to see decent gpib-support in FreeBSD?

> Yes, me.

I might have guessed it.
Is there anything around FreeBSD you're not working with or on? ;-)

> I'm currently running on a hacked up "GPIB from userland" I did myself,
> unfortunately it works well enough that I have never gotten around to
> push it into the kernel.
>
>       http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/GPIB.tgz

Perhaps I'll be able to have a look at it next week. Which gpib chipsets
does it support (apart from NI, which seems to be some kind of standard)?

> On the other hand, GPIB is not going to be a major market for us, but
> merely a fringe convenience feature I suspect.

Hm, FreeBSD is not supposed to do measurements and steering devices? When I
was looking for an OS with gpib support apart from Windows some time ago,
the only thing I could find was an old driver for Linux 2.0.x and the one
for FreeBSD; even NetBSD didn't offer gpib support, though I supposed that
it is more targeted to that kind of things.
Now we have most of our "high-level" software for gpib written in Java, and
it runs on Linux and Windows. For BSD I would just need the driver (and
probably a new JNI).

cu
  Gerrit