I searched the list archive, but I didn't see anything specific to this
question.

Dell Latitude C600, running 5.2-BETA from 11/24/2003...

I didn't notice until I started up KDE that I had no /dev/dsp of any kind in
my /dev directory.  I mount_nfs'd /usr/src and /usr/obj from my adjacent
desktop Dell Optiplex (running same OS and build date), installed the kernel,
installed world, mergemaster'd and rebooted.  Still no /dev/dsp (or /dev/
dsp.x) on the Latitude laptop (they do exist on the Optiplex --which has
working sound in KDE).

The desktop with the working sound had KDE built from sources, the laptop's
KDE environment was installed by building instant-workstation.  The laptop
has a sound_maestro3 card and I have the .ko loaded for it (and sound_pcm).
Both machines have device pcm in the kernel.

Appreciate any guidance.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT