Andreas Klemm wrote:

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 03:41:33AM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:33:35PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

Andreas Klemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I can't recommend doing it this way, since some ports I know
are writing startup scripts to /etc/rc.d :-/

That is very, very bad. I wish we had some kind of ports QA team :(

Well, er, a number of us do essentially nothing BUT ports QA.

I'm sorry if I did something disturbing, and I'm surely interested in ports tree QA! I know that I violate the prefix, and did that on purpose, see my comment in net/opendldap2[012]-server/Makefile: # currently the only way to participate in rcorder(8)

I posted PR conf/56736:
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/56736>
but nobody seemed to care, and I had enough construction areas that I didn't
wanted to start a discussion about that.

The point is that we might want to have some port services to start early.
That gives the possibility to move functionality from the base system to ports, which I believe isn't bad. I can simply change the openldap ports so that they
are nice and quiet, but IMHO that does not really solve a problem. But please
correct me if my arguments are too simple-minded.

What about simply putting a number in front of the script, I didn't check but am really certain that we start scripts something like this:

        cd $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d
        for i in *.sh           <--- here you get an alphabetically
                                        sort order !
        do
                if [ -x $i ]; then
                        /bin/sh $i start
                fi
        done

So this would be sufficient to start slapd before slurpd:

        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/001.slapd.sh
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/002.slurpd.sh

or alternatively

        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openldap-01-slapd.sh
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openldap-02-slurpd.sh

We already have things like:

        000.mysql-client.sh
        000.pkgtools.sh
        000.wine.sh
        010.pgsql.sh

I don't care whether slapd or slurpd starts first, I even don't care when slurpd starts. I want to start ldapd early in the boot process to supports services like nss_ldap and mail. I did things differently e.g. in net/rsync, because rsync does not provide any services that base services depend on.

-Oliver