Hi,

> "jail where I trust users not to try to take over my system" = "chroot".

Thank you and Pawel Jakub Dawidek for pointing that out that possibility.
Been living with jail-only thoughts for a little too long. ;) This solves
my problem, although I don't totally agree as jail in addtion has an ip
which makes it great for deploying test-setups. Using chroot only creates
a need for workarounds. But hey, chrooting made me able to install the
port and go from there. :)

> That's weird..it shouldn't be doing that.  What scheduler are you
> running, what does top show, have you tried to trace the processes
> using ktrace, etc?

I'm using the 4BSD scheduler. top is showing 95+% free, and systat agrees
that idle is doing a great job. :) I've put a kdump at
http://niklas.saers.com/kdump.log of compiling bash. I'm afraid I don't
know how to go through it to determine what's slowing down the build
compared to a ktrace from the host environment
(http://niklas.saers.com/kdump2.log). Any suggestions?

Cheers

  Nik