Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
Hello, all!

Recently I've started to see the following logs in messages:

Mar  8 12:00:24 localhost smartd[795]: Device: /dev/ad4, 2 Currently unreadable
(pending) sectors
Mar  8 12:00:24 localhost smartd[795]: Device: /dev/ad4, 2 Offline
uncorrectable sectors

smartctl did really show that something is wrong with my HDD, but still no
remaps - just read errors.

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%      1198
222342559
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%      1187
222342557
# 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%      1180
222342559
# 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      1178         -
# 5  Extended offline    Aborted by host               90%      1178         -

and

ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED
WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -
   0

Now can I find out which file owns the LBAs 222342557 and 222342559 ? How do I
force remapping of these sectors? I assume that I have to write something
directly to the sectors?

We have this problem from time to time on bunch of machines. As we are using gmirror, the easiest way is to force re-synchronization (rewrite) of the whole drive. The problem is when there are Pending unreadable sectors on both drives - it ends up with read error and some file(s) are corrupted, but there is no easy way (on FreeBSD) to find what file.

I tried it in the past with fsdb / findblk, but it does not work as I expect or I do not fully understand the needed calculations with slices + partitions offsets / LBAs and right meaning of the term "block". It seems there are several meaning in different contexts.

It would be nice if somebody with enough FS / GEOM knowledge can write some HowTo or shell script to do the calculations and operations to find file containing bad sector(s) and put it in FAQ, Handbook, or Wiki.

Miroslav Lachman