From: owner-freebsd-...@freebsd.org <owner-freebsd-...@freebsd.org> on behalf
of Alexander Ziaee <concussi...@runbox.com>
Date: Friday, March 8, 2024 at 3:29 PM
To: freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: Question relationship of builting(1) and functions refrenced
through .Xr
Hi,

(Chris Davidson asked)
> How does the manual page relationship work
> between the builtin(1) manual pages and the
> individual .Xr links to other pages

Builtin(1) describes shell builtin commands,
but the links in this see also section refer to:

- pages for valid, discrete programs in the base
system with identical names to these builtin commands

- the shells supplying the builtin commands

- the link that you are looking for, info(1), which we had
until FreeBSD 11 [0] and can probably be removed

For example, I have a shell builtin 'which' and I also
have a '/usr/bin/which'. I investigate suspicious links
with that command and whereis(1), but I feel like I need
to at least glance over the pages or it gets too meta.

[0] https://man-dev.freebsd.org/FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE/info.1

Hope this helps!
Alexander Ziaee