Good morning,

I did some further investigation and with help from Mark was
finally able to get it working.

Took quite some effort - documentation on the PHP side - NULL :-/
BTW: has anyone ever successfully subscribed to one of the PHP
mailing lists? Where is the community of the people developing that
stuff?

OK, back to topic, in fact I had two issues, one FreeBSD, one PHP
related.

1.      DTrace'ing jailed userland probes requires /dev/dtrace/* to
        be visible inside the jail.

Hence:

        [devfsrules_proserver=100]
        add include $devfsrules_jail
        add path dtrace/* unhide

        iocage set devfs_ruleset=100 vpro0069

Voila - dtrace on the host, watch userland probes in the jail.

2.      PHP > 5.6 needs the environment variable USE_ZEND_DTRACE
        to be set to register it's probes.

Turned out that it was not sufficient to *configure* that into the PHP
FPM worker but you need to set (and export) the variable on the shell
before you start the FPM master daemon. Then everything works as expected.

What I regularly do in such a case is

        sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/php-fpm start

to find out what command is actually executed in the end. Then call that
directly
after setting the environment. Result:

        setenv USE_ZEND_DTRACE 1
        limits -C daemon /usr/local/sbin/php-fpm

Bingo! Surprisingly enough it is *not* necessary to configure

        clear_env = no

in PHP FPM ... DTrace is active as soon as the master daemon sees that
environment variable.

Kind regards
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH                   Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a                 Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100