Quoting Juergen Lock <n...@jelal.kn-bremen.de> (from Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:20:55 +0100):

 But anyway if you want to merge this version as it is now you want
it at least to return errors for the ioctls it doesn't translate,
or only do that on amd64.

 (Or maybe I'll look at this over the weekend myself but I can't
promise anything... :)

So if it is just two ioctl's to cover: Andrew, do your applications still work when those ioctl's return ENOSYS or an error (whatever is more sensible in this case)? If yes, I would not complain if those ioctl's would return ENOSYS (and do some sensible rate limited logging explaining the issue) in the linux32 on amd64 case but work on i386 (in case nobody has the time to make them work correctly in linux32 on amd64).

One question still remains, why is the bitswap required? Is it really that linux uses a different order than FreeBSD and all the other code does it somehow implicitely (and I didn't notice it), or is there something else going on? IMO this is an important question to answer before a commit.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
A diplomat is a man who can convince his
wife she'd look stout in a fur coat.