Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

 > On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > > On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
 > > > Are you saying that as an ordinary user I can mount something on top of
 > > > /tmp, for example?
 > > If the vfs.usermount sysctl is 1, and you have appropriate access to the
 > > thing you're trying to mount (block device, etc).
 >
 > OK, so let's say it is 1. Let's say I have "appropriate access" to /tmp. I
 > mount my own fs on /tmp. I now have read/write access to everything anyone
 > writes to /tmp.

"Appropriate access" includes the idea that you need to own the mountpoint
directory.  If you have a system that's so badly run that arbitrary users
own /tmp, then I'd say user mounts are the least of your problems :-)

 > Or, let's say I don't have "appropriate access" to /tmp. Pick some other
 > place. I mount my file system there for my files. Now everyone who wants
 > can look for these user mounts and walk them at will. My private stuff is
 > quite public.

Correct (unless you want your private stuff to be private, and chmod
your mountpoint's parent directory accordingly).

 > But thanks for the note. I just now realized that if I add a private name
 > space to v9fs (which is easy), and then turn on user mounts, user
 > processes can have private name spaces on freebsd!

I can't wait to see the security problems that causes when setuid executables
assume that they only need to be worrying about one filesystem namespace.
:-)

   - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999