Peter Jeremy wrote:

> I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that you couldn't build
> statically linked executables with libpam.

Sorry I was so prickly about it.

> I recall having a similar static-vs-dynamic discussion with you a couple
> of years ago.

Yow, your memory is better than mine.  Premature senility is a sad,
sad thing. :-}

> My position was (and still is) that for most purposes dynamic
> linking is a definite advantage, but we should continue to permit
> static linking for applications that want it (which Sun doesn't).

I generally agree, except I feel that when there are cases where we
can do useful things which rely on dynamic linking, we shouldn't let
static linking hold us back.  Plenty of people disagree with me,
though.

John
---
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron