Stephen Hocking wrote:

 > The recent chatter about allowing kldload to give modules arguments is very
 > interesting, as it would allow one to specify port addresses and the like.

Would it be useful to be able to be able to do something like this:

    kldload -t kernel_config /sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNELNAME

... and have drivers consult the information they find in there for
config hints?

If newbus knew how to reconstruct config_devtab at runtime by parsing
a "kernel_config" module's "device" and "controller" lines, we'd get
dynamic runtime reconfiguration for free.  It could even defer the
initial construction of config_devtab until boot-time if you used
"options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE" to provide default configuration data...

    - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999