On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I've posted 2 times asking for someone to review these diffs:
> :
> :http://big.endian.org/~bright/freebsd/in_progress/vfs-fhsyscall.diff
> :
> :Am I to take it that silence is accpetance?  I'll be committing this
> :to -current tonight or tomorrow unless I get feedback.
> :
> :See attached email for details.
> :
> :thank you,
> :-Alfred Perlstein - [[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> :Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
> :   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> :
> :3) fh(open|stat|statfs) have been haphazardly implemented, meaning I
> :   won't be able to test them until tonight.
> :
> :Testers? Critics? Comments? please?
> :
> :If you're wondering why/what I'm doing, it's the kernel support
> :for a lockd that I'm working on, as well as a cleanup I thought
> :would make it easier to understand our filesystem code.
> :
> :I'm sure some people will be wondering:
> :Why does VFS_CHECKEXP take a vnode and not a mount point?
> :..
> :-Alfred Perlstein - [[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
>     I've done a quick once-over of your patch.  From the point of view of
>     the work I'm doing and the work Kirk will be doing later on, I do
>     not think the patch will cause any problems since you are adding new
>     VOPs for the most part rather then modifying (too many) existing VOPs.

VFS, not VOP.

>     Most of the work that Kirk and I will be doing will concentrate on
>     namei, locking, and I/O, which you mostly avoid in your patch.
>
>     In general I like the idea of implementing reasonable defaults.
>
>     I would ask two things though:
>
>       * First, please add comprehensive /* */ comments in front of each
>         vfsnop_*() procedure explaining what it does, why it returns what
>         it returns, locking requirements (if any) on entry, and side effects
>         on return.  This is just for readability.
>
>         Do the same for all the procedures you are adding, in fact.

The code isn't VOPs, it's VFS_ops, since they do nothing and don't
block there really aren't any pre-requisites for calling them.

VFS_CHECKEXP inherits the requirements of the old VFS_FHTOVP.

However, dt suggested I make VFS_CHECKEXP a VOP instead of VFS, my only
gripe is that exportability is determined by the filesystem, _then_ the
vnode, making it more of a VFS op imo.

>       * I think you can safely commit any elements that are not used by
>         existing builds since they are not likely to impact existing
>         builds operationally.
>
>         Then see what you have left over.  If it is not significant, commit
>         that to.  If it is significant, do more comprehensive testing on
>         what you have left over (i.e. that impacts existing builds) and
>         ask for another review after testing, before committing it.

I'm totally lost here, can you re-phrase this?

As far as the work done here, it's mostly a clean-up, no functional changes
with the exception of the addition of the fh* syscalls.  I guess you
could call the VFS_CHECKEXP a functional change, but it's more of a
re-org </pointy hair speak> :)

>     A working lock daemon would be totally awesome!  The fh*() routines
>     you are adding are roughly what you (and we) need to make progress in
>     this area!

Yes, i'd really like to get this off the ground. :)

Btw, are you planning on attending any BAFUG coming up?  I'd love to hear
some of the preliminary stuff you are proposing for the filesystem.

Thank you for your time,
-Alfred