Greetings,

We are running 3.1-RELEASE with a kernel pulled on May 1, 1999 from the
RELENG_3 branch (used this to take advantage of the KVA modifications
that were rolled in after the release).

The machines are dual PII 450's (N440BX) with 512MB RAM.  We are also
using built in ethernet and SCSI controllers.

Our kernel configuration is fairly standard with the following
exceptions:
maxusers     512
options      NMBCLUSTERS=33280
options      SMP
options      APIC_IO
options     "VM_KMEM_SIZE=(128*1024*1024)"
options     "VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX=(128*1024*1024)"

Here are the symptoms we are seeing:

1 machine running a caching squid reverse proxy would spontaneously
reboot with no error messages every week or so.  This machine was a
single CPU only.

We were seeing an excessive number of sockets in the CLOSING state, via
netstat.  The reboots seemed to be co-related to having many such
sockets.  Suspecting bad TCP stack on the Internet, we did 'sysctl -w
net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1'  This fixed the many CLOSING sockets
problem, but did not fix the reboots.

Other machines running custom software (Dual CPU) would also
spontaneously reboot also with no error messages.  The reboots are
happening on an increasing frequency, almost to the point of a couple
times a day.  Sometimes a machine would reboot a couple times a day,
then be ok for another week or so.

Our software excercies the disk, CPU and network quite a bit, but not
excessively.  The only machines that are having problems, are production
machines directly connected to the Internet.  We've had the same
machines running internally with longer uptimes, and heavier volumes.

Any suggestions/idea's?

Sorry about the super-post, I thought detail was important.

- Stevan Arychuk