Out of da blue The Hermit Hacker aka ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, bush doctor wrote:
>
> > Out of da blue Wolfram Schneider aka ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
> > > I ported pmake to SunOS 5.5.1, 5.6, and 5.7. The port based on the
> > > FreeBSD-4.0-current make version from 9th September 1999.
> > >
> > > I successfully compiled pmake itself and the FreeBSD Web server.
> > >
> > > The binaries are available at
> > > http://www.de.freebsd.org/~wosch/src/pmake/
> > This should be nice.  The number of solaris boxen I administering
> > seems to be growing faster that the FBSD boxen.  Nice work & thanxs ...
>
> I'm still fighting to get a FBSD boxen into the office...have my immediate
> boss convinced that we should, but her boss is still convinced that
> Solaris is the only Unix OS out there *sigh*
Take a look here http://www.scnc.k12.mi.us/.  This is a project managed by
the Technical Support Services Group in the Computer Lab here at MSU.  FreeBSD
is run on all the S.C.N.C. servers.  Many of the tech staff within the Technical
Services run FreeBSD on our desktops.  Contact Matt Kolb at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
for more info on what they're doing.  Cheuck Henrich who use to head the project
when he was the leader of the Special Projects group could also tell you more.
I don't have his email address at hand, but search the hackers mailing list
and you'll find some postings from him.  He's no longer at MSU, but the company
he's working for used FreeBSD for some graphics rendering engine for the movie
"The Matrix" ...

> Does anyone have any *good* comparisons between the two?  Something like
> the work that Brad Knowles (?) did recently with Vinum vs DPT SmartCache
> controllers?
>
> If nobody...I'm just working on a Dual PIII upgrade to one of our servers
> here...if someone could suggest a 'test suite' that I could run on FreeBSD
> (SMP) before I switched things over to Solaris, I'd be more then willing
> to run it through so that it was a 'same hardware' scenario.  The system
> (hardware-wise) I'm building is such that it is 'FreeBSD-friendly', as
> are all the x86 systems I'm building...
>

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Keep plugging away scrappy, you'll get FBSD in there.  Also check the main web site
for large companies (like yahoo)  that are using freebsd ...

#:^)
--
So ya want ta here da roots?
Dem that feels it knows it ...