On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 04:33:39PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

 > What is the 'normal' behaviour for a rlogin (ssh) or telnet session
 > when one is logging into an ISP who assigns dynamic addresses and
 > the connection has an idle timer (inactivity) (that is, the connection is
 > dropped after a certain time period).

Same as on any other OS:  You get a new IP address when you reestablish
your connection to the ISP, so the hosts at the other ends of any active
network connections you happened to have open when you dropped your
link will be sending their ACKs and data to someone else (who will
no doubt start sending RST's, clearing the connections altogether, if
anyone is responding on your old address at all).

 > I have the problem that with FreeBSDs isdn (i4b) my rlogin (ssh)
 > sessions die (are rendered unusable - lock o' city) regularly when
 > the idle timer drops the connection. A subsequent awaking of the connection
 > results in a different IP address being assigned from the ISP.

This is perfectly normal, and is why "dial on demand IP with an idle
timeout" sucks ass.

 > Strangely Netscape does not suffer from this phenomenon.

That's because Netscape (and all other web browsers) create separate
short-lived TCP connections for each URL they fetch, and when you leave
it idle it doesn't maintain any open connections at all (usually;  your
Java applets will probably screw up if they expect to have persistent
connections back to the host they were loaded from).

   - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (H)