-On [20000121 04:02], Saurabh Bhandari ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Dear Sir,

Hi,

>I am a M.S. student with major as Computer Science. I am doing an
>independent study with my professor. I have been told that BSD drivers are
>not documented at this point of time. So I would like to document the BSD
>Drivers.

You don't happen to be the student of the professor of rpi.edu (if I am
not mistaken) whom I just mailed back are you? =)

If you want to document the writing of the drivers, you might want to
stick around me, since I have been dogging in this subject for the past
few months.

>It would be a big help for me if you could answer the following questions:
>
>1)Are BSD drivers not really documented?(I fear that I may not end up
>re-inventing the wheel)

Depends on which version of FreeBSD.  Prior to CURRENT (4.0) we used the
standard BSD/Unix way of writing device drivers.  That means we used
bdevsw[] and cdevsw[].  We recently collapsed both the character devices
and block devices into one cdevsw.

>2)I am new in this field. Will it be possible for you to tell me from where
>should I start as I dont have any experience in this field?

Please see the email from Greg Lehey and myself in response to another
inquiry about writing device drivers, since it is too long to repeat
here.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best