* Mikhail Teterin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [000124 12:35] wrote:
> David Schwartz once wrote:
>
> >  The  man page  is  correct  and the  implementation  is correct.
>
> Several people, said the man pages are broken:
>
>               Bruce Evans on Dec 28:
>       > If timeout is a  non-nil pointer, it specifies
>       > a maximum  interval to wait for  the selection
>       > to complete.
>
>       This is a  bug in the man page. It  is so poorly
>       worded that  it is broken. "maximum"  here means
>       "minimum" in  the case  where no  selected event
>       occurs.
>
>               Daniel Eischen on Jan 23:
>       You have  to guarantee  that the actual  time is
>       greater  than or  equal  to the  amount of  time
>       specified.
>
>               Warner Losh on Jan 23:
>       : Could you provide  the chapter/verse number of
>       : where POSIX spec contradicts the man pages? It
>       : will help  me make my  case on the  TCL forum,
>       : since  the  TCL  developers remain  under  the
>       : mistaken assumption, that  select() may return
>       : earlier, but never later than specified.
>
>       Somewhere in the archives  have a pointer to the
>       unified unix spec for select. Might want to look
>       for  it. A  useful regular  expression might  be
>       http://www.*/select.*.
>
> This is becoming ridiculous. Somehow, I  get a feeling a bunch of people
> manage  to agree  with  each other  on a  subject  they express  exactly
> opposite opinions.

The manpage has been updated in -current:

     If timeout is a non-nil pointer, it specifies the maximum interval to
     wait for the selection to complete.  System activity can lengthen the in-
     terval by an indeterminate amount.

     If timeout is a nil pointer, the select blocks indefinitely.

     To effect a poll, the timeout argument should be non-nil, pointing to a
     zero-valued timeval structure.

If no one objects I'll be committing it to -stable and praying to the
gods that this thread dies.

-Alfred