I searched the mailing list archive.  I am not sure whether Vinum has
solved the problem of atomic writes in a stripe to both the data fragment
and parity fragment (RAID 5). In the case of a crash, you have no idea of
where the writes have finished (even worse, a fragment may contain
several sectors).

If this problem is not easily solved in software, does it mean that only
hardware RAID can guarantee availability of data and software RAID can
only be used to increase performance?  How about the Linux software RAID
support?

Any enlightment is appreciated.

-Zhihui