On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:00:07 -0700, Doug Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
>
>> Well, *should* we have a built-in "test"? I gather the original ash didn't
>> have it due to the KIS principle. But if it speeds things up considerably,
>> it's not much of a bloat, is it? I'd volunteer to write it.
>
>       Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure would be to do a couple
>make worlds with the current sh, then do some with super-sh with the
>built in 'test'.

A somewhat quicker (though not quite as accurate) check is to do a
make buildworld with accounting on.  Based on this, the most-executed
(>1000) commands (after merging aliases) are:

   23743   cpp
   23912   sh sh*
   17060   cc
   15583   as
   13689   cc1
   17934   test [
   12544   ld
   11725   mv
    7366   make
    4904   rm
    2999   ln
    2160   sed
    2102   gzip
    1454   mkdir

(There was some other system activity, but I don't think it would
affect the results).

This suggests that making test/[ a builtin would probably help, but
probably not nearly as much as reducing the number of shells exec'd
(ie making make(1) a bit smarter).

Peter