If I want to read and write a file, I can do it in two ways:

(1) Open the file as read and write, using one file descriptor.
(2) Open the file as read only and open it again as write only, using a
total of two file descriptors.

Method (2) is more clear in logic and uses a little more resource (file
descriptors).  Other than these, are there any performance reasons for
doing so?  Method (2) is used in source code file mkfs.c when we open a
special device file to create a file system.

Thanks for any help.

-Zhihui