> > Apparently there are places that log via dmesg instead of via syslog.
>
> No.

Perhaps I'm missing something.  I know that the messages I get via nfs_msg
in nfs_socket.c I haven't been seeing in my syslogs, and when they show up
in the dmesg output they are not timestamped.

Somebody was commenting on the same thing happening to certain SCSI
diagnostic messages.  I've noticed this, too.

Perhaps my log levels need to be adjusted.

> > The primary intention here is to have the messages that are in the dmesg
> > output have timestamps.
>
> No.

Why?

> > And I have had crashes/panics where the syslog information just didn't get
> > out in time (but I might be mistaken on this one).
>
> This won't help.  Think about it for a moment.  If the output doesn't
> get out in time, where is it going to be saved?

Good point.