> I agree with the approach.  But why write a simplistic volume manager
> when we already have vinum?

vinum is far from simplistic, but I suppose it might also do. :)

Still, it would someday be nice if you could use vinum as the very
powerful swiss-army knife that it currently is OR as a dull axe to
simply concatenate, ala ccd, n partitions together in some extremely
straight-forward fashion.  That is to say, instead of having to think
about subdisks on plexes on foxes on clockses (sorry Dr. Seuss) when all
you wanted to do is whack some space together in a simple and obvious way,
you could say something like "vinum -C /dev/wd0s1a /dev/sd1s2 /dev/sd2"
in order to concatenate wd0/slice 1/partition a, sd1/all of slice 2,
and all of drive sd2 together.  vinum would choose the volume name itself
and return it, from this it being possible to contrive the device pathname
for newfs and mount.

One might then logically assume the next step would be trivial insertion
and deletion options, like:

   vinum -i /dev/something volumename

to insert a new partition into existing volume volumename and

   vinum -d /dev/something volumename

to delete /dev/something from volumename, assuming that it's found
in that volume.  I guess while I'm dreaming, you could use -M to
also create trivial mirror sets and -i and -d could act on those
as well. :)

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, let me also hastily note here that I'm
not trying to suggest that vinum should shed functionality or become
dumbed-down - the current amount of flexibility is good and probably
in full accord with "the unix way" insofar as I understand vinum's
operation. :)

It's also more than a little indimidating to new users, however, many
of whom only want to use it for the most simplistic scenarios anyway.
Some big dials to go with all the small dials can't hurt, can it? :)

- Jordan