>>    If the mapping is being done via a device mapping, then the region will
>> be marked non-cacheable.
>
>I remember that he said he created a character device /dev/tulip to
>represent the network card. Actually, his work borrowed a lot from the
>Cornell U-Net project (now the basis of VIA?). Can we change the
>corresponding page table (directory) entries to be cacheable as needed?

   You'd have to modify the kernel - specifically pmap_mapdev(). Note that
the above behavior is only true for older versions of FreeBSD (pre-2.2). If
you're having this problem within a newer version of FreeBSD, then it's
probably something else causing it.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org