On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 07:20:10PM +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> >From time to time people ask questions about the serial console.  As
> README.serial is buried deep inside the kernel source tree, it's almost
> time to have a decent text on the serial console in our handbook.
>
> I am reformatting README.serial so that it can be included in our
> handbook, and adding bits and pieces to clarify things.  I haven't
> finished it yet, but would like to have your comments now, so that we
> can make it more informative and useful.

This is great.  Every now and then someone says "Hey, Nik, the Doc. Proj.,
is dying, no one's writing new docs" and then people like you submit
something like this and help prove them wrong.

> I put up the HTML version in:
>
>       http://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/serialconsole.html
>
> and the SGML version in:
>
>       ftp://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/serial-console.sgml

I couldn't get the .sgml using FTP, but it was fine using HTTP.  This might
just be because of the firewall settings here.

> - I am not a SGML expart ;-< formatting and links may be wrong.

I'll get on to that in a second.

> - The chapter number is arbitrary.  When this text will be eventually
> included in the handbook, I expect Nik will put it somewhere suitable
> and give appropriate chapter number.

Looking at the Handbook as it stands at the moment, a couple of
places look like they might be suitable.

  (a)  As a chapter somewhere in part 2 ("System Administration").

  (b)  As a section inside chapter 14 ("Serial Communications").

  (c)  As a chapter somewhere in part 4 ("Advanced topics").

I think (b) can probably be ruled out, as the rest of that part deals
with network communications.  Of the other two options, I'm leaning
towards (a) rather than (c).

As to the text and the SGML formatting;

I'll change the text a little bit before committing it.  There are a few
areas where you've used a plural instead of a singular, and general
policy in the documentation is to avoid contractions like "don't" in
favour of "do not" and the like.  But apart from these very small nits
the text is great -- your English is certainly much better than my Japanese.

The SGML formatting is also off, see
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/x2041.html for more
specific information.  But this should only take me 10 minutes or so in
Emacs to fix up, so don't worry about it.

I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to do this.  If you could
let me know when you're happy with the text I'll do a final edit and
commit it.

Once again, thanks very much.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--