:
:   Yes, I do - at least with the 512MB figure. That would be half of the 1GB
:KVA space and large systems really need that space for things like network
:buffers and other map regions.
:
:-DG
:
:David Greenman
:Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
:Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com

    What would be an acceptable upper limit?  256MB?  128MB?   The test
    I ran (Kirk's news test) ate around 60MB for the "FFS Node" memory area
    before the number of vnodes stabilized, on a 1GB machine.  I would say
    that a 128MB upper limit would be too small for a 4G machine.  A 256MB
    limit ought to work for a 4G machine

    Since most of those news files were small, I think Kirk's news test code
    is pretty much the worse case scenario as far as vnode allocation goes.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>