On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> I have noticed that there is no good clipboard system in FreeBSD. X has only
> a rudimentary clipboard, and outside X there is no clipboard that would be
> shared between programs... All this while Windows has a very interesting
> clipboard system that allows to paste as different types.

This is why Private Name Spaces are a good thing. They act like a file
system (because they are a file system), they can be backed by a file
system or whatever you wish (i've got both memory servers and file system
servers) and they allow processes to create shared, private data to
support such things as a clipboard. You don't need to write a special
daemon, you just need to get private name spaces working on freebsd. I
have a first piece in the v9fs file system, which is a memory file system
but which is intended to support private name spaces in the future. Note
that private name spaces work just fine over a network.

ron