> From: Jay Kuri <j...@oneway.com>
> Date: 1999-07-08 11:19:01 -0700
> To: David Greenman <d...@root.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem with fxp driver and 82559 cards
> Cc: hack...@freebsd.org
>
> > >program... but if I go into the installer and try to transfer a
> > >distribution , it fails, locking in the same way.  I'm talking
with Intel
> > >to see if they have had similar problems.  I read something in
the source
> > >about the reciever has locked after garbage in the
syncronization bits...
> > >could it be a similar problem with the new chip, perhaps exposed by
> > >certain types of equipment?
> >
> >    What's the cable plugged into?
> >

>       We have tried:
>
>               ATI switch (centrecom 3124tr) 10bT
>               3com SuperStack II (10/100)
>               SMC TigerSwitch 10bT
>
>       Same results on all of them.  We've also tried setting media type
> to 10baseT/UTP in the 'ifconfig options' in sysinstall... no
difference.

Some off-the-wall thoughts.  I haven't followed this closely, but
noticed the last few messages.  Apologies if this is in the wrong
ballpark.

Have you tried a hub or a switch configured to stick with half-duplex?

Also, some switches "go dark" when there's a change in port status,
as might happen if a driver reinitializes the link.  The switches are
executing a spanning tree algorithm on the new port, looking for
loops.  If the switches can be configured to not do this (only needed
for switch-switch connection), you might try that as well.  (I'm not
sure if the install issue is occuring soon after a boot, or is
something else).

Regards,

Justin

--