On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hmm, you're right.  Arguably, it could return EINVAL.  Actually, the
> :man page documents this behavior, although it gets the 256 number wrong.
> :
> :     If nfds is greater than the number of open files, select() is not
> guaran-
> :     teed to examine the unused file descriptors.   For historical reasons,
> :     select() will always examine the first 256 descriptors.
> :
> :--
> :Jonathan
>
>     This piece of the manual is justifying the fact that select() is not
>     currently checking past the current number of open files -- which
>     is how select() works now.  The second part of that manual entry is just
>     plain wrong:  If you pass an nd value less then 256 it will only check
> that
>     number of descriptors, it no longer examines a minimum of 256.

So shouldn't someone correct it? I'll do it if noone else wants to.

>     It would definitely not be appropriate to return EINVAL.

I concur.

>                                       -Matt
>                                       Matthew Dillon
>                                       <dil...@backplane.com>

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@freebsd.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/