On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Axis wrote:
>
> > I have been using *BSD* for around 3 years now. My problem is thatI have
> > always used the console for system administration duties. I really want to
> > put a kick *** system together to run X with all of the luxuries.
> > I have noticed there is not that much support for sound cards andvideo
> > display adapters.
> > Given your experience, Could you please inform me of which sound card and
> > video display adapter works best with FreeBSD.
>
> I suggest a nice TNT or TNT2 (Ultra too)-based card for video. They have
> nice 2D acceleration and okay 3D acceleration. The 3D acceleration is great,
> but limited by the slow architecture of the current X/GL/GLX implementation.
> I get very nice, but nowhere near current Windoze-driver-speed, 3D accel
> using this baby (just don't expect to play much Quake 3 with it in FreeBSD
> yet.)

The Nvidia binaries for the TNT glx don't work with q3test. If you rebuild
them from the current CVS sources with bleeding edge Mesa sources, it
works fine but its much slower than voodoo2 due to the limitations of
XFree86 3.3. I expect 4.0 to have excellent 3D performance.

--
Doug Rabson                             Mail:  d...@nlsystems.com
Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                  Phone: +44 181 442 9037