On Tuesday, 27 July 1999 at  9:32:51 +0200, Alexander Maret wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I configured vinum (RAID 1) on a 3.2S System. As I want to mirror
> as much as I need to keep the system running (in case of a drive 1
> failure) I mirrored /etc as well. At boot time (until vinum is
> initialized) the system only has the following files:
>
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> /etc/rc.conf
> /etc/rc
> /etc/fstab
> /etc/gettytab
> /etc/login.conf
> /etc/ttys
>
> Do I need all of these files or can I put some of them away
> (for example /etc/ttys or /etc/gettytab)? The files
> would of course be available as soon as vinum is initialized
> and /etc mounted.

Interesting question.  In view of the fact that I intend to make the
root file system bootable One Of These Days, I don't think you should
go to too much trouble here: after all, they're only a few kilobytes
each.  But I think you could eliminate these ones:

> /etc/gettytab
> /etc/login.conf
> /etc/ttys

You might find it advantageous to modify /etc/rc to mount /etc (and
anything else you want) immediately after starting Vinum:

   if [ X$start_vinum = XYES ]; then
        vinum start
        mount /etc
   elif [ -n "$vinum_drives" ]; then