On 1999-07-27 13:37:35 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Jamie Howard (howar...@wam.umd.edu), with a little help from yours
> truly, has written a BSD-licensed version of grep(1) which has all the
> functionality of our current (GPLed) implementation, plus a little
> more, in one seventh the source code and one fourth the binary code.
> What's more, the code is actually possible for mere mortals to read
> and understand.
>
> The source code is available for download from freefall:
>
>  <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~des/software/grep-0.7.tar.gz>
>
> I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
> implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.

It is 25 times slower than GNU grep ;-(((((((

$ time /usr/bin/grep foobar  /var/tmp/mailbox >/dev/null
        0.90 real         0.78 user         0.12 sys
$ time /usr/local/bin/grep foobar  /var/tmp/mailbox >/dev/null
       24.31 real        22.36 user         1.69 sys

(/var/tmp/mailbox is 81MB large).

I often use grep for large data (in main memory). I don't care about the
GNU license. I care about poor performance.

--
Wolfram Schneider <wo...@freebsd.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org